El Niño, Downtown Los Angeles 1966 - age 3.

El Niño, Downtown Los Angeles 1966 - age 3.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Rent Control Blues


Ocean Park Bath House - Ocean Park Santa Monica, CA 1905

In 1997 I was second on a long list to get a rent controlled apartment at 5th and Montana in Santa Monica, 5 blocks from the beach. Two bedrooms, second story front unit above the carports with no one living underneath me and close to everything I would ever need. The price……$699 a month. The wife of the married couple first on the list did not want to take the apartment because sadly the previous tenant had committed suicide in it. I was next on the list so I started to pack for my move out to the Beach. At the last moment, the husband pleaded with his wife to take the apartment and they did, reluctantly so. I ended up moving to Pasadena and sweltering away in the heat of the San Gabriel Valley for 10 years and the rest is rent control history.

No comments:

Post a Comment