El Niño, Downtown Los Angeles 1966 - age 3.

El Niño, Downtown Los Angeles 1966 - age 3.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bohemian Rhapsody, Los Angeles style

"A Little Party, Los Angeles, Cal." 1919

I enjoy small cozy gatherings with old friends, good food, good wine, good conversation and good live music amongst that gathering. The gentleman on the right in this old photo probably belted out a few songs on his guitar before posing with a swarm of groupies to capture this wonderful moment in time. He has not one, not two but a choice of six beautiful women who are competing for his attention. Later on, he and the lucky lady he chooses will probably walk on over to a nice speak-easy bar on the dusty unpaved Sunset Strip for a little face time. I know a couple of girls well into their forties, old neighborhood friends of mine whom I have known for decades now. If they are not dating a musician then their world will simply implode upon them. Dating a banker, an aerospace engineer or that guy with a mega successful plumbing business will simply just not do it for them. Maybe it’s that “what will my friends think” thought process, I honestly don’t know. It’s all quite silly, but they are my friends and I really hope they find their own personal John Mayer, Tommy Lee or Meat Loaf (the singer not the food) to make them happy. Here’s to the beauty and the power of three chords on the guitar and everything that comes with it. Personally, I can belt out a rough version of “Smoke on the Water” on my Fender but my neighbors are quite sick of it. Happy Valentine's Day.

Disclaimer: (In all fairness, it could have been the woman in the front row with the ukulele who was the musical star of the party.)

No comments:

Post a Comment